My last electric Longboard build has been a challenge and my most complex and comprehensive build so far. I spent 1y on R&D and 6 months on sourcing for all the components and 3 months for the build. I had to reshape an MBS board to save some weight and the few innovations that I am proud of for this specific build compared to the previous, include a 3D padding for my feet and a flexible enclosure for the battery.

But this project ended up my prototyping frenzy for electric longboards for several reasons:

  • I think I appreciated the challenge of building more than the pleasure of riding, I spent hundreds of hours planning, sourcing, designing, prototyping, and testing and only dozens of hours on the boards riding, even if the feeling and the emotions felt while riding was one of the most intense that I have felt.
  • This project reached a bit of the limit of what I could do not leaving much room for major changes or exciting enough for me to start a new version.
  • I was able to reach 75km/h with this build and it was very scary and way too dangerous even tho I limited the theoritical max speed and was protected by appropriate gears.
  • Handling this amount of cells and number of batteries in my appartment with my daughter around and the risk of spontaneous fire was worrying me a lot

Links

If you are interested in a more comprehensive post about electric longboards build check this one for a pure esk8 build and this one for an offroad version.

you can also find 2 instructable tutorials with more details here: https://www.instructables.com/member/PEXFAB/

Latest build details

Here is the parts list for this build:

  • Unity FOCBOX (discontinued)
  • Dual 6374 170KV from Maytech
  • MBS comp95 deck (reshaped and painted)
  • MBS Metal Matrix II
  • MBS Roadie tires + MBS hubs
  • Unikboard Mount
  • 66T Wheel pulley (Unikboard )
  • 15t drive pulley
  • Custom flexible Enclosure
  • 12S5P ultra-flexible battery

Reshaping process

What I wanted is to modify the nose and tail of the deck and remove some material. I started the process by creating a CAD draw of the new shape I wanted based on the measurements of the trucks holes and the actual Comp 95 deck. I used the paper template to cut the shape I wanted and sand it to remove the graphic and smooth the edges.

I have been working on custom 3D printed extensions while waiting for my enclosure. I had to make it specific for the shape but it could be adapted to any shape on a comp95 with modifications.

I used Black TPU (from Filaments.ca, 90A) to be able to follow the curves and concave of the MBS deck. Then Epoxy-ed the extensions to fix the extensions to the board. Note that the extensions are not adding more concave to the deck, it’s just extending the deck itself that is already concave.

I personally find the result so far to be really nice and very comfortable. I also added multiple layers of Grip tape under the top layer to create a mold for my feet. These were the best improvements I made on any of my boards as the vibration, the tensions on my legs during the breaking and acceleration phases after 30 min of riding were very demanding and my rides have been way smoother with this setup.

I then applied several coast of Wipe-on Polyurethane and then 1 coat of black primer and 1

Flexible Enclosure (Open Source)

Link to the flexible enclosure files